Chapter 19 – The Resurrection & Ascension of Jesus
Story No. 12 of 13
The likely order of Jesus’ appearances following his resurrection is as follows:
- Mary Magdalene. (John 20:14; Mark 16:9)
- Mary Magdalene and Mary the Mother of James & Joseph. (Matthew 28:7-10)
- Simon Peter. (Luke 24:34; 1 Corinthians 15:4-8)
- Cleopas and another disciple at Emmaus. (Luke 24:13-35; Mark 16:12-13)
- The Ten Apostles at Jerusalem – Excluding Thomas. (Mark 16:14; Luke 24:36; John 20:19)
- The Eleven Apostles at Jerusalem – Including Thomas. (John 20:26)
- Five Apostles (Simon Peter, Thomas (Didymus), Nathanael (Bartholomew), James & John (Sons of Zebedee)) and two other unnamed disciples by the Sea of Tiberias (Galilee). (John 21:1-24)
- The Eleven Apostles on a mountain in Galilee, (Matthew 28:16)
- A gathering of five hundred people. (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- James. (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- The Eleven Apostles at Jerusalem before His Ascension. (Mark 16:19-20; Luke 24:50; Acts 1:3-12)
- Saul (Paul) on the Road to Damascus. (1 Corinthians 15:8; Acts 9:1-25)
There are slight discrepancies between Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul’s accounts. They reflect the independence between the writers and their use of different witnesses, as well as, the difficulties of witnesses to recall event order, weeks or even years afterwards.
The foundation of our faith: Jesus died, rose from the dead and ascended to Heaven.
“My Lord and my God,” be the resurrection and life for all who seek to live by your Gospel values; forgive them their sins and grant them eternal joy with You in Heaven. Amen.
Prayer: Humility (St Alphonsus Liguori)
Most humble Jesus,
give me a share of your humility.
Take from my heart, everything that displeases you;
convert it totally to you,
so that I may no longer will or desire
anything other than what you will.
|Music Suggestion: Sing To The…|
Listen and reflect…
…pause and talk.
Vision of the Holy Cross
Today in 312, the Roman Emperor, Constantine the Great, received a vision of the Holy Cross and ordered the construction of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
Thank You, Jesus, for accepting the Cross for our sins. Our Father…
Read More: Jesus’ Life – See All 365 Stories
(Note: The story order represents an approximate timeline of events in Jesus’ ministry; Biblical Scholars views vary.)